COMMONWEALTH PRIVACY LAWS
The Commonwealth Privacy Act 1998 contains the APPs, which govern the standards, rights and obligations of organisations in Australia in relation to the use and disclosure of Personal Information.
Personal Information includes a broad range of information, including personal opinions, that could identify an individual. What is personal information will vary, depending on whether a person can be identified or is reasonably identifiable in the circumstances.
Examples of information that constitutes “Personal Information” includes a person’s name, home address, telephone number, mobile phone number, email address, as well as information about an individual when using an entity’s website, when it is linked to other information that would enable another user to identify that individual.
WHAT KINDS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES WFA COLLECT AND HOLD?
The level of engagement you choose to have with WFA will determine what kind of personal information we collect from you. For example, if you sign up to our website, you will be asked to provide certain identifying information, such as your name and email address. You understand that by submitting this information, we will be able to identify you.
We may also retain sensitive information if you have chosen to provide that to us.
THE TYPES OF DEVICE INFORMATION WFA COLLECTS
When you use our website, we may automatically collect and store information about your computer or mobile device and your activities using cookies and similar technologies including identifiers. This information may include (but is not limited to):
- your computer or mobile device’s unique ID number, and/or its geographic location while the website is actively running
- your computer’s IP address
- technical information about your computer or mobile device (such as type of device, web browser or operating system)
- your preferences and settings (time zone, language, privacy preferences, product preferences, etc.)
- the URL of the last web page you visited before coming to our website, the buttons, controls and ads you clicked on (if any), and
- how long you used our website and which services and features you used, and the online or offline status of our website.
INFORMATION COLLECTED FROM OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS
You hereby give your express consent for us to access, collect and store personal information about you and other people that is available to us when you log on to our website using your Facebook login or Twitter login. Access and use of this information is subject to the further terms and conditions displayed to you by Facebook or Twitter when you log in.
HOW DOES WFA USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We use your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected. We collect personal information for such purposes as sharing information, communicating with you, administering and managing our website, and fundraising.
We also use your personal information to improve and customise the services that we provide to you, as well as to make special offers, better understand our users, diagnose and fix problems, monitor the use and performance of our website, and sell and display offers and ads that may be relevant to you.
IN WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES IS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION DISCLOSED TO OTHERS?
WFA will not sell, licence or rent your personal information to others. However, there are some circumstances where WFA may disclose your personal information to other companies or organisations, including where you would expect the information to be disclosed, as well as in the following circumstances:
- We may share your information with other trusted organisations, groups, causes, or campaigns that we believe have similar viewpoints, principles or objectives to us.
- We allow analytics companies to use tracking technologies to collect information about our users' computer and mobile devices and their online activities. These companies analyse this information to help us understand how our website is being used. Analytics companies may use mobile device IDs, as described in the paragraph below ("Mobile device IDs"). Unlike cookies, Mobile device IDs cannot be deleted.
- In order to recognise you, store your preferences, and track your use of our website, we may store your Device IDs (the unique identifier assigned to a device by the manufacturer) when you use our website. Unlike cookies, device IDs cannot be deleted.
- We may publicly disclose aggregated and anonymised information about our users, such as the total number of our users and their overall demographics.
- We may disclose any information in response to a legal request, such as a subpoena, warrant, court order, or government or regulatory authority demand; to investigate or report illegal activity; or to enforce our rights or defend claims.
- If you consent to the use and disclosure of certain information, including information you enter during the registration process or while using the website, we may use and disclose that information in accordance with the consent you provided.
OVERSEAS DISCLOSURES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We take reasonable steps to ensure that trusted third parties are bound by privacy obligations when handling your personal information.
By using the website and providing us with personal information about you, you consent to the disclosure by us, and to the storage and use of your personal information, in the United States of America where a different privacy protection regime applies.
NOTIFIABLE DATA BREACHES SCHEME
WFA will take seriously and deal promptly with any accidental or unauthorised disclosure of personal information. WFA has obligations to its users who reside in Australia (under the Privacy Laws) to put in place security safeguards and take steps to protect the personal information we hold.
In order to prevent unauthorised access to or disclosure of Personal Information, we have taken steps to put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure Personal Information and protect it from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure. However, no system is ever completely secure.
Under the Notifiable Data Breach Scheme (as part of the Privacy Act 1988) (“the Scheme”), we have obligations to notify the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) and affected individuals when an eligible data breach (as defined in the Scheme) occurs.
We will act in accordance with the requirements of the Scheme and the guidance of the OAIC in assessing and responding to suspected notifiable data breaches.
HOW CAN YOU ACCESS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
At any time, you may contact us if you wish to make an inquiry about any personal information stored by us. We will provide you with access to any of your personal information we hold (except in limited circumstances recognised by law).
If you wish to access your personal information or have an enquiry about privacy, please contact us at the email address provided below.
We will endeavour to process your request within a reasonable time, usually within 30 days of you making the request.
In some circumstances, we may be unable to comply with your request to access your personal information. If those circumstances arise, we will notify you and provide reasons.
Before we provide you with access to your personal information we may require some proof of identity. We may also charge a reasonable fee for giving access to your personal information if your request requires substantial effort on our part.
CORRECTING AND DELETING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
HOW CAN YOU MAKE A COMPLAINT?
We will investigate your complaint and determine the steps (if any) we will take to resolve your complaint. If you are not satisfied with our determination, you may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au).
HOW CAN YOU DEACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT?
At any time, you may delete or close your user account by sending us an email to notify us of your intention.
HOW TO CONTACT US
Women’s Forum Australia (ABN 92 115 589 225 )
By Email at [email protected]
By Post at:
Women’s Forum Australia
PO Box 105
Westgate LPO NSW 2038